[arch-general] can't balance full btrfs raid6 filesystem

Garmine 42 mikro001 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:47:08 UTC 2016

On 22 February 2016 at 18:41, Jameson <imntreal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM Garmine 42 <mikro001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22 February 2016 at 17:22, Jameson <imntreal at gmail.com> wrote:

>> akgrant0710 at gmail.com>

>> wrote:
>> >> >>>

>> You should not use quotas on btrfs currently. It is known to cause
>> significant performance issues on the long run (and potentially has
>> many undiscovered bugs). If you wish I can dig up the relevant
>> discussion on the btrfs mailing list for you.
>>

> Well, without quotas, I can just expect my filesystem to fill up, again,
> without warning, and completely break. I think I might just have to buy
> some extra disks, and try out ZFS for myself.
>
> Jameson

Maybe you could try to leave a few unpartitioned GBs after the btrfs
partition(s). In case the FS fills up just assign the unpartitioned
space to btrfs and maybe btrfs will be able to grow over it. Or die
with -ENOSPC. But I have never tried this (instead I keep an eye on my
disk utilization) so it might be a good idea to try this theory on
some loopback devices first :)

Regards,
Garmine