[arch-general] can't balance full btrfs raid6 filesystem

David N Murray dmurray at jsbsystems.com
Mon Feb 22 18:06:27 UTC 2016

On 02/22/2016 12:41 PM, Jameson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM Garmine 42 <mikro001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22 February 2016 at 17:22, Jameson <imntreal at gmail.com> wrote:

>> akgrant0710 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> You should not use quotas on btrfs currently. It is known to cause
>> significant performance issues on the long run (and potentially has
>> many undiscovered bugs). If you wish I can dig up the relevant
>> discussion on the btrfs mailing list for you.
>>
> Well, without quotas, I can just expect my filesystem to fill up, again,
> without warning, and completely break. I think I might just have to buy
> some extra disks, and try out ZFS for myself.
>
> Jameson
I've been running this script in cron to deal with me not paying
attention to disk utilization.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
my $tol = '75'; # >= this generates a message
my $me = `hostname -s`;
chop $me;
foreach my $ln (split /\n/, `df -m`) {
                 my ($pct, $mnt) = ($1, $2);
                 if ($pct >= $tol) {
                         print "$me:$mnt utilization at $pct\%\n";
                 }
         }
}

If it prints something, cron just mails it to me.

Dave