[arch-general] can't balance full btrfs raid6 filesystem

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Mon Feb 22 18:43:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 05:41:18PM +0000, Jameson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM Garmine 42 <mikro001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You should not use quotas on btrfs currently. It is known to cause
> > significant performance issues on the long run (and potentially has
> > many undiscovered bugs). If you wish I can dig up the relevant
> > discussion on the btrfs mailing list for you.

Yes, I heard this but can't find relevant bugreports. The kernel wiki says that
quotas are fully supported, at least with simplest (raid1?) setups.

> Well, without quotas, I can just expect my filesystem to fill up, again,
> without warning, and completely break. I think I might just have to buy
> some extra disks, and try out ZFS for myself.

See this:
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/btrfs/post_2014-05-04_Fixing-Btrfs-Filesystem-Full-Problems.html

Basically, when your btrfs is full, just create a loopback device, add it to
the array, rebalance and then remove the device. This is what I had to do this
Sunday :)

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4