[arch-general] [OT?] Which is most future-proof desktop environment?

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 19:53:45 UTC 2016

On 12/30/2015 04:19 AM, Maarten de Vries wrote:
> On 30 December 2015 at 10:19, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>
>> More generally, what do you mean by "work-flow", and how have DEs like
>> KDE and Gnome broken "the work-flow" in the past?
>

> ​For a good rant on some things that are wrong with Gnome 3 ​ (and GTK 3):
> https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Yep, that was a good read, and it made my skin crawl.  The part that
disturbed me the most was the bug about removing the systray icon in
Transmission.  Imagine supporting all those incompatible configurations.
It's absurd!

It's amazing how the pattern of removing features and changing things
arbitrarily for the "greater good" is spreading around nowadays.  It has
invaded Firefox recently.  Mozilla is talking about deprecating XUL this
year.

(And if you are unhappy about the current state of Firefox, check out
Pale Moon [0].  We don't tolerate the nonsense that is boiling over in
GNOME 3 and Mozilla.)

> On 30 December 2015 at 12:49, Leonid Isaev <leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> On the contrary, things like {open,flux}box and tiling WMs (i3, jwm) still
>> use
>> a design from '90s. And from olden days of Win98 we remember what it leads
>> to.
>>

> In my experience, it leads to very productive and happy users that don't
> have to change the way they use their computer every time some dev or
> designer decides to "streamline the user experience" by removing useful
> features or adding extra empty space everywhere.

Amen!  I'm using Window Maker here.  It's the same GUI it has always
been for 20-something years.  Except, it is still actively maintained.
There is even an option to ignore window caption hints in GTK
applications because of the GNOME "Client Side Decoration" nonsense.

Long live no-nonsense 90s GUIs!

--Kyle Terrien

[0] https://www.palemoon.org/