[arch-general] System crash troubleshooting help?

Aron Widforss aron at antarkt.is
Thu Jan 7 22:57:20 UTC 2016

On 01/06/2016 11:25 PM, Michał Zegan wrote:
 > in general, such a lockup means a kernel level lockup or panic, but
 > panics are probably displayed on the console.
 > What hardware do you have? Occassionally something like that happens to
 > me and it always happens when sound is playing, so it may be the same.

It's a XPS 13 9343.

----

On 01/07/2016 12:50 AM, Mauro Santos wrote:
 > It would be very helpful if you said around which time the machine
 > crashed as that is a lot of log to go through.

That would be at the end of the log. The log is over a single boot.

----

On 01/07/2016 02:42 AM, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
 > most importantly, can you reproduce the lockup?  That would be needed
to try
 > various fixes/workarounds

I unfortunately cannot. It has happened maybe once a week for a month
now. I _think_ that it mostly happens after heavy load and memory usage
(mostly Windows 10 WMs), but the CPU time and memory allocation was down
to normal at least during the last crash.

I think that I should apply the fixes you suggest, run some stress tests
and, if I cannot provoke the crash to occur, wait a couple of weeks.

 > Furthermore, in kwin settings, what opengl backend is configured? Does
 > changing to a lower version help? Newer standards of opengl could
expose some
 > bugs in the stack.

I'm not completly sure what to look for here, but KInfoCenter says that
OpenGL Version is 3.0 Mesa 11.1.0. I guess I could try downgrading this.

 > You have i915 graphics. Are you using uxa? That could avoid some lockups.
 >
 > $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
 > Section "Device"
 >     Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
 >     Driver      "intel"
 >     Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
 > EndSection

Added now.

 > and are you using any window decoration other than default? I found that
 > plastic can cause kwin crash rather regularly but it was not a lockup.

Nope, standard Plasma, straight out of the box.

Vänligen,
Aron Widforss