[arch-general] Kali rt2800usb driver on Arch for wireshark tcp capture

Ivan parazyd at dyne.org
Sun Jan 10 21:59:21 UTC 2016

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016, Fulcrum Mike wrote:

> On 1/11/2016 3:54 AM, Ivan wrote:

> >>Upon blacklisting rt2800usb driver, the WiFi won't come up. 'lsusb -t' shows
> >>that there is no driver loaded for Alfa AWUS036H on boot. Later, I manually
> >>loaded rt2800usb module to get the wifi working. So no luck getting the
> >>module working with rtl8187 drivers.
> >>

> >You don't have an ALFA AWUS036H if it works with the Ralink driver. I'm
> >100% sure of it.
> >You might have the 036NH model, that does use Ralink. In this case, you
> >should talk to the pople at aircrack-ng.org, they might have some
> >backports that are patched for TCP.
> >
> >Once again, the ALFA AWUS036H card is supposed to have a Realtek chip
> >and use rtl8187. I'm saying this because I've had three so far.
> >

> I may be wrong but I believe I have an AWUS036H device. I just checked the
> box the device came in. It says 'AWUS036H'. The sticker at the bottom of the
> device reads 'AWUS036H' as well.
>
> 'airmon-ng' says the Chipset is Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070.
>
> 'dmesg | grep -i usbcore' says 'usbcore: registered new interface driver
> rt2800usb'.
>
> According to the store I bought this device from, the chipset is RT3070L.
>
> Since you had personal experience with these devices, I believe I must give
> rtl8187 drivers a try but I can't get those drivers running with this
> device. The drivers are already installed but I dont know how to make the
> kernel use rtl8187 drivers instead of rt2800usb.
>
> FYI, I contacted the guys at wireshark and aircrack-ng. Hope someone will
> respond soon.
>
> Really appreciate you help.

Even the Alfa website says the chip is rtl8187. I don't know what you've
got. http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=34&ps=92
With Arch we can't help you because you need modified drivers which Arch
Linux doesn't officially support. Though someone with more info might
reply.

Best of luck! I hope someone from aircrack gets back to you soon. They
know their stuff.