[arch-general] Kali rt2800usb driver on Arch for wireshark tcp capture

Fulcrum Mike fulcrummike at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 10 20:20:16 UTC 2016

On 1/11/2016 3:54 AM, Ivan wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2016, Fulcrum Mike wrote:

>>> Try blacklisting rt2800 via /etc/modprobe.d/ and reboot.
>>>

>> Upon blacklisting rt2800usb driver, the WiFi won't come up. 'lsusb -t' shows
>> that there is no driver loaded for Alfa AWUS036H on boot. Later, I manually
>> loaded rt2800usb module to get the wifi working. So no luck getting the
>> module working with rtl8187 drivers.
>>

> You don't have an ALFA AWUS036H if it works with the Ralink driver. I'm
> 100% sure of it.
> You might have the 036NH model, that does use Ralink. In this case, you
> should talk to the pople at aircrack-ng.org, they might have some
> backports that are patched for TCP.
>
> Once again, the ALFA AWUS036H card is supposed to have a Realtek chip
> and use rtl8187. I'm saying this because I've had three so far.

I may be wrong but I believe I have an AWUS036H device. I just checked
the box the device came in. It says 'AWUS036H'. The sticker at the
bottom of the device reads 'AWUS036H' as well.

'airmon-ng' says the Chipset is Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070.

'dmesg | grep -i usbcore' says 'usbcore: registered new interface driver
rt2800usb'.

According to the store I bought this device from, the chipset is RT3070L.

Since you had personal experience with these devices, I believe I must
give rtl8187 drivers a try but I can't get those drivers running with
this device. The drivers are already installed but I dont know how to
make the kernel use rtl8187 drivers instead of rt2800usb.

FYI, I contacted the guys at wireshark and aircrack-ng. Hope someone
will respond soon.

Really appreciate you help.