[arch-general] Yahoo mail problems (was [aur-general] No notification for out-of-date package)

Natu incoming-archlinux at rjl.com
Sat Jan 16 04:38:28 UTC 2016

On 01/15/2016 12:34 PM, Florian Pritz wrote:
> On 14.01.2016 14:41, Florian Pritz wrote:
>> On 13.01.2016 18:53, Giovanni 'ItachiSan' Santini wrote:
>>> My package "telegram-desktop-bin-dev" was flagged as out of date
>>> on the 10th of January but I received no mail notification about
>>> that.
>>
>> It appears that yahoo has decided to "temporarily" reject all
>> mails from that system (bbs, wiki, aur, mailing lists). I've sent
>> an email to their postmaster and hope this will clear up soon.
>>
>> Until then, I'm afraid yahoo users will not receive emails from our
>> services. Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> We are still unable to deliver mails to yahoo and so far my email to
>  postmaster at yahoo.com has not received a reply. Can anyone put me in
>  touch with someone from yahoo or tell me if the postmaster address
> is read (I kind of expect it to go to /dev/null)?
>
> Florian

You don't say what yahoo's reject message is, but I suspect you may be
having issues with DMARC/DKIM and mailman's forwarding of DKIM signed
messages.  Unfortunately there is no great solution to this problem but
there are options in recent versions of mailman which can be configured
to do ugly header munging and workaround the problem for now.

To the best of my knowledge yahoo does not make exceptions to checking
DKIM signatures on incoming messages.  Their DMARC record is also set to
p=reject (dig _dmarc.yahoo.com. txt) and this is the cause of bounces by
other providers (of list messages sent from yahoo) which causes users to
be unsubscribed from the mailman list when they exceed the bounce limits
set for the mailman list.  Since yahoo and aol have been unwilling to
budge on these issues, it forces the administrators of mailing lists to
deal with the issue.  Google has announced that they will be also be
setting their DMARC policy to p=reject later this year (I forgot the
exact date), so the choices at this point are to use the mailman options
that are provided thus far to deal with this or implement your own
solution, which some people have done.

See the URL's below.  There is also much discussion of these issues in
back archive of the mailman list as well as the DMARC lists.