[arch-general] building cwm or twrp on arch

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:25:16 UTC 2016

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Joan Figueras <ffigue at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Javier,
>
> try to switch python to python2 during the build, then you can switch back
> to python3:
>
> $ sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python
> [ do the build ]
> $ sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python
>
> It's ugly, I know.
> Also you can try to use virtualenv2, it's explained in the wiki [1].
>
> [1]:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Android#Setting_up_the_build_environment

Well, with the help of [1], [2], [3], and several others, plus of
course the Arch wiki, I could build the CWM image, though it didn't
work.  After installing it through adb/fastboot, as on [4], actually
the recovery image gets lost.

One thing to notice is that for this device (huawei snapto) the boot
image couldn't be acquired through adb shell "dump_image", so finding
the boot partition, and copying it to "/sdcard" through "dd" was
necessary.  Also "BoardConfig.mk" had to be edited, to get the
partition sizes of the device, and some df, proc/partitions,
dev/block/platform/*/by-name were necessary to be inspected to get the
values, given proc/mtd was not available.  The recovery.fstab seemed
fine.

Any ways, although the recovery image was built, as mentioned, once
flashed, no recovery shows up when rebooting into recovery.  I had to
install the CM recovery image (which is not a CWM one) to get a
recovery image back...  That one doesn't allow to flash the device
BTW.

So, though the recovery image is getting built, it's useless.  If
someone has done it before, sharing the experience will help a lot.
This might be offtopic, since the Arch part seems overcome, however
I'm still unable to generate the CWM recovery image I attempt to
build...

Thanks,

--
Javier