[arch-general] mdmonitor.service /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh: No such file or directory

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 8 22:05:33 UTC 2016

On 06/05/2016 07:43 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 06/05/2016 06:12 PM, David N Murray via arch-general wrote:
>> I don't think it's any problem at all.  I've always had this message and mdadm
>> starts and runs fine.  I think this has been discussed on the list before.  It's
>> an optional file, but generates an ugly message.
>>
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=183122 (#10)
>>
>> HTH,
>> Dave
>
> Thank you Dave,
>
>   It does indeed run fine:
>
> [17:21 valhalla:/home/david] # sc status mdmonitor
> ● mdmonitor.service - MD array monitor
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/mdmonitor.service; static; vendor
> preset: disabled)
>    Active: active (running) since Sun 2016-06-05 17:12:47 CDT; 23min ago
>   Process: 454 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh (code=exited,
> status=203/EXEC)
>  Main PID: 460 (mdadm)
>     Tasks: 1 (limit: 512)
>    CGroup: /system.slice/mdmonitor.service
>            └─460 /sbin/mdadm --monitor --scan
>
> Jun 05 17:12:47 valhalla systemd[1]: Starting MD array monitor...
> Jun 05 17:12:47 valhalla systemd[1]: Started MD array monitor.
>
>   Just seems strange we wouldn't at least have a stub script for
> /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh to get rid of the boot message. Oh well,
> I'll post to the mdraid list and see what the devs have to say. Thanks again

Now we have a conundrum, the mdadm folks seem to think the missing file is an
Arch problem:

(from linux-raid at vger.kernel.org, contributing redhat dev):

On 06/07/2016 02:31 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> writes:
>> Neil, All,
>>
>>   I'm chasing down the reason there is no
>> /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh provided with mdadm. This is
>> more a curiosity really as mdmonitor continues to run, but it always
>> throws an error at boot:
>>
>> Jun 05 17:12:47 valhalla systemd[454]: mdmonitor.service: Failed at step EXEC
>> spawning /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh: No such file or directory
>>
>>   I have several Arch servers, all on mdadm 3.4-1. I ran into an issue
>> a year or so ago with a boot error with mdmonitor due to my failure to
>> provide MAILADDR in /etc/mdadm.com, but that has long since been
>> corrected:
>
> If you're running Arch Linux, you probably want to direct this question
> to the Arch Linux maintainers.
>
> Jes

So is this something that needs to be filed as a bug here. The package is
certainly missing something. The mdmonitor.service file is pointing to a file
that does not exist in the package. What say the Arch devs?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.