[arch-general] mdmonitor.service /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh: No such file or directory

Wilhelm Schuster ws at wilhelm.re
Wed Jun 8 22:22:38 UTC 2016

Hi David,

On 06/09/2016 12:05 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Now we have a conundrum, the mdadm folks seem to think the missing file is an
> Arch problem:
>
> (from linux-raid at vger.kernel.org, contributing redhat dev):
>
> On 06/07/2016 02:31 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> writes:
>>> Neil, All,
>>>
>>>   I'm chasing down the reason there is no
>>> /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh provided with mdadm. This is
>>> more a curiosity really as mdmonitor continues to run, but it always
>>> throws an error at boot:
>>>
>>> Jun 05 17:12:47 valhalla systemd[454]: mdmonitor.service: Failed at step EXEC
>>> spawning /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/mdadm_env.sh: No such file or directory
>>>
>>>   I have several Arch servers, all on mdadm 3.4-1. I ran into an issue
>>> a year or so ago with a boot error with mdmonitor due to my failure to
>>> provide MAILADDR in /etc/mdadm.com, but that has long since been
>>> corrected:
>>
>> If you're running Arch Linux, you probably want to direct this question
>> to the Arch Linux maintainers.
>>
>> Jes
>>

> So is this something that needs to be filed as a bug here. The package is
> certainly missing something. The mdmonitor.service file is pointing to a file
> that does not exist in the package. What say the Arch devs?

That's a weird, since mdadm_env.sh only gets installed on SUSE systems.
See the following line from the Makefile (line 316):

if [ -f /etc/SuSE-release -o -n "$(SUSE)" ]; then
  $(INSTALL) -D -m 755 systemd/SUSE-mdadm_env.sh \
$(DESTDIR)$(SYSTEMD_DIR)/../scripts/mdadm_env.sh
fi

http://git.neil.brown.name/?p=mdadm.git;a=blob;f=Makefile;h=5fd7f166e7e14f24078b2394398234342930b227;hb=HEAD#l316

Originating commit:
http://git.neil.brown.name/?p=mdadm.git;a=commitdiff;h=61c094715836e76b66d7a69adcb6769127b5b77d

Also, personally I've never seen /usr/lib/systemd/scripts used on Arch.
I don't think that's an official (as in used by systemd upstream)
directory (though I'm not sure).

Cheers, Wilhelm Schuster.