[arch-general] Where did the touch pad tapping go?

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:59:18 UTC 2016

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>
> Yesterday I could tap my touch pad to trigger mouse clicks (single
> finger for left mouse button, ...), but today nothing!

Did you happen to upgrade your Arch box in the middle of "it worked"
and "it doesn't work"?  And did you happed to use the synaptics Xorg
driver?

I think Xorg now uses libinput as default as opposed to prior
versions.  I have been using libinput any ways since it was made
available, so the transition didn't affect me, and besides I'm OK with
the tapping offered by libinput.  Actually I removed totally the
xf86-input-synaptics package from my Arch boxes already.  You can take
a look at the install message:

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/xf86-input-synaptics.install?h=packages/xf86-input-synaptics

And if you want to read how to enable tapping on libinput:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libinput#Touchpad_configuration

Hopefully this helps,

--
Javier