[arch-general] Where did the touch pad tapping go?

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 05:52:14 UTC 2016

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Kyle Terrien <kyleterrien at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Javier Vasquez via arch-general wrote:
>>
>> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/xf86-input-synaptics.install?h=packages/xf86-input-synaptics
>
> I saw that message while upgrading a couple of days ago.
>
>     xf86-input-synaptics driver is on maintenance mode and
>     xf86-input-libinput driver must be prefered over.
>
> But I didn't understand what "must be prefered over" means (grammar
> error).
>
> You suggested that libinput is the default now.  That would make more
> sense.  So is this a warning of some sort, or is it a notification to
> try to encourage people to switch to libinput?
>
> Does switching break any older desktop environments?  (e.g. MATE, Window
> Maker)

Hi Kyle,

Although stalling development (just maintenance for now) on the Xorg
synaptics driver doesn't mean it's deprecated, I prefer the move onto
libinput as I did some time back.  Not related to what Arch might
encourage, but I would encourage the move.

BTW, I have a libinput config to enable tapping, without specifying
the "Driver" since november, and if present, Xorg has always treated
libinput as the default over Synaptics.  The thing is that now the
Arch xorg-server package requires the libinput driver as well as the
evdev one.  And that makes libinput the default no matter you wanted
it (as I did by installing it) or not (you can still opt for the
synaptics driver through config).

I use plain fluxbox WM, no DE, so I guess other more used and/or
supported WMs/DEs might work just fine.  The support for libinput on
Xorg by Arch is not new.  The anouncement of the availability to chose
for it is from 2015-11-13:

https://www.archlinux.org/news/xorg-1180-enters-testing

So it might be it's been tested on different WMs/DEs by now, and by
different users.

One can still keep using the synaptics driver if preferred as
mentioned.  It provides more options to tweak (for those who
understand them and care).  Its config is similar to its libinput
counterpart (just longer), and its main requirement is to specify to
use the synaptics "Driver" in there.  You can read the wiki for some
synaptics config basics:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

Or use the config from Fabien on this same thread:

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2016-June/041457.html

--
Javier