[arch-general] Where did the touch pad tapping go?

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 01:50:50 UTC 2016

Javier Vasquez via arch-general wrote:
> I think Xorg now uses libinput as default as opposed to prior
> versions.  I have been using libinput any ways since it was made
> available, so the transition didn't affect me, and besides I'm OK with
> the tapping offered by libinput.  Actually I removed totally the
> xf86-input-synaptics package from my Arch boxes already.  You can take
> a look at the install message:
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/xf86-input-synaptics.install?h=packages/xf86-input-synaptics

I saw that message while upgrading a couple of days ago.

    xf86-input-synaptics driver is on maintenance mode and
    xf86-input-libinput driver must be prefered over.

But I didn't understand what "must be prefered over" means (grammar
error).

You suggested that libinput is the default now.  That would make more
sense.  So is this a warning of some sort, or is it a notification to
try to encourage people to switch to libinput?

Does switching break any older desktop environments?  (e.g. MATE, Window
Maker)

--Kyle