[arch-general] packer vs packer-io

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:21:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Mauro Santos via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 23-06-2016 15:04, Andre "Osku" Schmidt via arch-general wrote:
> > Hmm,
> >
> > so Archlinux has packer[0] that provides an executable named `packer` and
> > now there is packer-io[1] that changes the upstream executable from
> > `packer` to `packer-io`.
> >
> > Now i have a Makefile that runs packer-io[1] that fails on systems where
> > its executable is not renamed to `packer-io`. (eg. everything[2] else
> than
> > Archlinux)
> >
> > I would like to provide the user a single command to build "my" software
> > (eg. make), but am not sure what i should do.
> >
> > 1. Tell Archlinux users to manually alias/link `packer` pointing to
> > `packer-io`?
> > 2. Automagically try to findout the correct executable in Makefile?
> > 3. Request a rename of packer[0] executable upstream?
> > 4. Request a rename of packer-io[1] executable upstream?
> >
> > What would you do?
> >
> > Cheers
> > .andre
> >
> > [0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/packer/
> > [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/packer-io/
> > [2] at least Debian and MS-Windows
> >

> Packer and packer-io, at first glance, seem to be different projects.
> Even if they aren't different projects, both packages are in the AUR and
> therefore unsupported.
>
> As far as I know the only officially supported way of building and
> installing packages on Arch Linux is using makepkg and pacman.

​
yeah, those are two different projects with the same (upstream) executable
name.

packer    : aur helper for pacman.
packer-io : build tool for vagrant boxes.

hmm, hang on. when archlinux never allow aur helpers in repo, only
packer-io could land in archlinux repos. ergo its executable doesn't need
to (officially) be renamed from `packer` to `packer-io`. :P

i can live with that :D

cheers
.andre​