[arch-general] Boot SuperMicro H8QM8-2 w/4 Opteron 8360 - hangs on boot of install media

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:59:16 UTC 2016

On 02/29/2016 07:30 PM, P. A. López-Valencia wrote:
> There is no problem there. Arch's default kernel configuration supports
> up to and including 32 cores.
>
>> >    The reason I ask is it always hangs after it says Booting Kernel (immediately
>> > after decompress). When I memtest the memory, (I have two sets and I've gone
>> > stick by stick with a minimum memory config, and I still get errors at the exact
>> > same percentage of every test.) I have rotated each stick in/out with a
>> > replacement, and replaced the whole set, but same issue.
> If you are sure the RAM sticks are working fine by, say, burning them in
> a different rig, then you may have a problem with the memory controller.
> or something more insidious in the firmware controller. In any case, it
> sounds to me you need to RMI the box. I've heard SuperMicro has above
> average tech support...

Thank you. I wish tech support were an issue, but this is an older box from an
ISP I was given, so it is more or less a project/fun box at this point. The RAM
is HP. (not yet HPE when this box was minted). Like I said, I have 2 sets of RAM
(36 2-Gig sticks total, all HP Part No. 405476-051)

I have attempted to run with as low a 8-Gig (4 sticks, non-interleaved, all
sticks in DIMM slot 1A of each bank per the manual) and it will not memtest in
that config. Adding a stick to slot 1B of each bank allows the test to go to 32%
precisely where the error begins, regardless of which sticks are used.

I'll keep playing with it. I've been through the BIOS (there are about 50
settings for RAM/ECC alone, most have 'Auto' setting). I'll double-check there
as well. The box was apparently working fine before it came to me (I don't know
how long ago the 'working fine' was through)

I'll keep fiddling with this. It is truly one impressive piece of hardware that
comes in a 100 lb. box and sounds like a 747 at takeoff (I think it has
equivalent thrust too given all the fans (17 at last count, 9 of which are the
80mm 6000 rpm jobs)).

Thank you again for your help.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.