[arch-general] Why does virtualbox-host-dkms have a hard dependency on linux-headers?

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Sun Mar 13 18:51:15 UTC 2016

On dim., 2016-03-13 at 19:32 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> PS:
>
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:01:30 -0700, Kyle Terrien wrote:
> >
> > Why
> I guess the maintainer tries to make it as comfortable for us as
> possible.

Yes that was my goal, until we find a way to dep on at least one kernel and its
headers installed. See [1].

Note that it pulls the linux-headers but do not build the modules if you don't
have the kernel installed.

Anyway, that was not a good idea, I will drop that in vbox 5.0.16-3, which will
be in the repo in few times. Now there is enough warning (dkms and vbox
post_install) that you have to add the headers of your kernel.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48498

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://seblu.net | Twitter: @seblu42