[arch-general] NOTE: Intel users: don't install lastest Xorg 1.18.2 update. Whole desktop freeze after while of using.

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Mon Mar 14 20:56:57 UTC 2016

On 03/13/2016 08:34 AM, David Strobach wrote:
>> I was affected serious issue from lastest Xorg update 1.18.2 (current in
>> testing). Whole desktop freeze. Keyboard and mouse not working. Only
>> pressing while power btn shutdown device.
>>
>> Reverting to 1.18.1 is safe.

I confirm I have the same problem on my laptop - reverting to xorg
1.18.1 makes the problem has go away.  Tried with 4.4.5 as well as with
4.5 kernel - same issue.

   lspci shows:

Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
(rev 06)

I found nothing useful in the system journal or xorg logs. My own
personal desktop xorg log has things like this at the tail end of the
session that froze:

applet.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server :0.0.

But sadly the log has not timestamp to know for sure this was at the
crash time.

Seems like X server is crashing hard. I cannot even switch to another VT.

Gene