[arch-general] Mysterious userapp .desktop files

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 05:08:46 UTC 2016

So, somehow my default web browser got changed from SeaMonkey back to
Firefox.  (Bleh!)

I ended up cleaning up after xdg-open in the process of correcting my
default web browser.

In ~/.local/share/applications/ (where user-customized .desktop files
go), there were several files in the format
userapp-<appname>-<short_hash>.desktop.

userapp-Firefox-FIK3WX.desktop
userapp-Pale Moon-1HNY8X.desktop
userapp-SeaMonkey-YV09AY.desktop
userapp-Thunderbird-PIZCZW.desktop

(Wow!  I have gone through a lot of web browsers lately.)

I remember creating a few .desktop files in this directory, but I don't
remember creating any userapp-* files.  The contents of
userapp-Firefox-FIK3WX.desktop were:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true
Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u
Name=Firefox
Comment=Custom definition for Firefox

This is weird.  There is only an English comment (the default has many
languages), and this one has set NoDisplay.

I deleted all my custom .desktop files.  I have no use for them anymore.

And back to the problem of default web browsers.  These userapp .desktop
files got into mimeapps.list (now located in ~/.config/).  I suppose the
short hash for SeaMonkey changed, causing mimeapps.list to fallback to
the next web browser listed in mimeapps.list.  I had to weed all the
userapp garbage out and replace them with the system-wide .desktop file
names.

What daemon creates these mysterious userapp .desktop files?  I don't
want this daemon creating this junk on my system.

--Kyle