[arch-general] What is the current wiki-poliicy for re-writing contributions?

Frank Schaffhaeuser mail at blockdevice.net
Tue Mar 22 10:06:24 UTC 2016

--- On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 08:26:15 +0000 Jayesh Badwaik <archlinux at jayeshbadwaik.in> wrote ----

On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 09:00:28 IST Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
> I hardly look at the wiki anymore, but I remember getting the same
> impression—most recently I had to hunt through multiple pages about
> encryption to get even a basic setup going.
>
> This is a problem.

Initially, when the wiki was small, a page would have a small section, with
instructions to get a basic system running. Now, probably as the wiki has
grown more comprehensive, it is becoming more and more reference-based
and the tutorial like properties are disappearing.

May be it would nice if people would start writing tutorial like articles
for simple enough uses. For example see [1].

--
Cheers
Jayesh Badwaik

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Simple_stateful_firewall

Exactly. It almost looks like it's done on purpose, to obfuscate information as
much as possible. This would neatly reflect the elitist mindset of many arch users
one comes across on the internet. My prime example is the 'Beginners
Guide' from the wiki; I have an old version from around July 2015 as an
installation checklist, to prevent me from forgetting any important steps.
Thank $DEITY i have that printed on paper.
Today it's completely watered down and littered with links. That guide is, as
the name suggests, for 'beginners'. Many explanations have been stripped
or are hidden behind links. You can't just print it, start the installation and be
done in 30 minutes. No, now you either need a second machine to 'browse' the
wiki or memorise the whole process.
I'm afraid your suggestion to write tutorial like articles may appear too
'Ubuntu-esque' for some wiki editors...