[arch-general] Announcing [atom] repository

Nicola Squartini tensor5 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:48:42 UTC 2016

Users of GitHub's Atom editor might be interested in adding my unofficial
[atom] repository to their pacman.conf:

https://github.com/tensor5/arch-atom

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#atom

It consists of three packages: atom, electron and apm. It's been available
for several months now, it's used by many people, and I consider it stable.
Packages follow Arch's guidelines and have no namcap errors.

The main feature is that is entirely compiled from source, while the other
atom packages in AUR, although they don't explicitly include the suffix
"-bin", download a pre-compiled distribution of Electron, which is the
heart of Atom.

The other feature, which sets it apart from upstream and AUR, is that Atom
is split from, and requires Electron. This allows to reuse Electron
separately as foundation for other desktop applications.

I would be happy if Atom gets promoted to [community] in the future, and if
it does I volunteer for maintaining it.

Enjoy.