[arch-general] x220 external mic

Tomasz Kramkowski tk at the-tk.com
Wed May 4 09:17:44 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-03 21:55, Carsten Mattner wrote:
> This is a question for those who have or still are using a Thinkpad
> x220.
>
> I've been trying to get an external 3.5mm headphone+mic combo
> to work in a way that the mic is picked up, but so far nothing fixed
> it and I cannot find anything relevant on the internet.
>
> I've tried enable/disabling the mic i/o port in BIOS, but I'm fairly
> certain that the setting is just for the built-in mic under the monitor
> and not anything connected via the a combo inline external device.
>
> Any hints what I can try?
>
> I've tried with ALSA and ALSA plus PulseAudio and never been
> able to see any device that would pick up sound.

I don't recall this being an issue, I don't have the splitter on me but
I can try for you when I get home later today. In the meanwhile, have
you considered that maybe your combo headset (or whatever it is that
you're using) is incompatible? When I plug something into the headphone
port the X220 automagically switches over the output to be headphone
only (and vice versa). Could you check that when you plug in your
headset that the built in microphone stops picking up sound?

--
Tomasz Kramkowski