[arch-general] x220 external mic

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:55:56 UTC 2016

This is a question for those who have or still are using a Thinkpad x220.

I've been trying to get an external 3.5mm headphone+mic combo
to work in a way that the mic is picked up, but so far nothing fixed
it and I cannot find anything relevant on the internet.

I've tried enable/disabling the mic i/o port in BIOS, but I'm fairly
certain that the setting is just for the built-in mic under the monitor
and not anything connected via the a combo inline external device.

Any hints what I can try?

I've tried with ALSA and ALSA plus PulseAudio and never been
able to see any device that would pick up sound.