[arch-general] Single Drive Fresh Install (mbr/grub2) Fails to boot (can boot existing from .iso??)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:07:56 UTC 2016

On 11/07/2016 11:56 AM, Rijul Gulati via arch-general wrote:
> A quick suggestion :  Why not try systemd-boot instead of grub? (Since now
> arch is installed in UEFI) No harm trying ;)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

  Well, it is now apparent why UEFI is disabled, when enabling it in the
bios, you get a large warning that:

  UEFI implementation in this bios is experimental and it is recommended
that you disable 'Disk Lock' (HP drive encryption) and Pre-Boot
Authentication before enabling UEFI.

  So, I did. Then tried to boot, and it paused for a minute, moved the
cursor to about mid-screen, and then went though the Legacy boot order
and failed again with Disk Error '0F3' (no operating system found).

  So, I stuck the USB back in, booted, chose existing, and I'm up and
running again -- and back to square-one on "Why does this box boot fine
from the .iso, but will not boot from the hard drive?"

  Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep picking away, but if anybody has
any other thoughts or diagnostics to run to help explain this, I would
appreciate it.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.