[arch-general] Single Drive Fresh Install (mbr/grub2) Fails to boot (can boot existing from .iso??)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Nov 7 22:43:35 UTC 2016

On 11/07/2016 03:24 PM, Rijul Gulati via arch-general wrote:
> Also, I see "customised boot" option for UEFI.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HP_EliteBook_840_G1
> Tried this? (If it's applicable for your system)

Thanks Rijul,

  I've been though the page several times. The setup itself wasn't
applicable to the 8760w as all UEFI was disabled (it was experimental
only from HP in my model laptop) so there are no paths in bootmgr, etc.
I may try and configure it that way, but with all UEFI disabled, there
is something else (probably simple) that is causing this to fail.

  The bewildering part of this whole problem is "How the hell is the
.iso booting so easily, while I can't do the same thing from the hard
drive?" Especially since simply choosing to boot from the .iso works
flawlessly.

  Everybody gets one of these issues every once in a while, this one is
mine -- and it's a doozie...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.