[arch-general] [OT] Favorite/best desktop in archlinux

Christian Klaue mail at ck76.de
Tue Nov 8 00:39:58 UTC 2016

There is no "best enviroment" for everyone.

Ask for advantages / disadvantages. Check if the answers still apply
nowadays. Let's see for my personal opinion.

When I started with linux I started on cinnamon / mate since it is been
 most closely to windows. It's also been as buggy as windows. Back
then. I am sure / I hope it is much more stable nowadays.

I tried a few "basic" / "specialized" and "experimental" desktops. (No
offence to anyone!). None did fit my personal "one for all"
requirements. Other people can't follow my "I paid for a mouse I wan't
to use it" philosophy. With such a "noob" philosophy back then there
had been KDE, gnome and mate/cinnamon.

One aspect is important: no matter which decission you take (KDE or
another): GTK and QT can be very well be used in parallel. So an
argument like "if you go for gnome you can't use Kaffeine" is bullshit.
QT and GTK can coexistent and nowadays with the right themes you won't
actually be able to say which app is using what.

Back to the 3 major players:
. KDE looks close to Windows and fancy. QT is closed sw. In my personal
opinion KDE offers too many configurations  (early plasma) and is been
laggy (KDE 4).
. Cinnamon is been wonderful. Unfortunately very buggy. (appr. 3 yrs
ago)
. Gnome is ugly. Very ugly. Ever seen a "Adwaita"-themed window header?
(still valid)

Well: I stayed with Gnome. While writing this I still use QT-
applications (namely I watch TV using Kaffeine on my second screen).
Just give every DE a try and after u decided look out for themes and
customizations. There are plenty out there. In most cases for all big
players. Eg. yakuake for qt/KDE and guake for gtk. As for Gnome: I use
arc-theme and viola, it looks bautiful now. I added guake, dash-to-dock
extension and a few other things. Nowadays I would not even consider
KDE. Anyway, yours may be still KDE. Or Gnome. Or Cinnamon. Or
Enlightment. Or any other. A friend uses enlightment and won't consider
any other. Let me know if u have a valid reason for one specific.