[arch-general] [OT] Favorite/best desktop in archlinux

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:22:50 UTC 2016

On 11/07/2016 07:39 PM, Christian Klaue wrote:
> Back to the 3 major players:
> . KDE looks close to Windows and fancy. QT is closed sw. In my personal
> opinion KDE offers too many configurations  (early plasma) and is been
> laggy (KDE 4).

Um, what???

Qt is dual-licensed under the GPL3 (with a commercial license available
for purchase *for use in non-FLOSS projects* ), I don't know what
bizarre rumors you have heard...

> . Cinnamon is been wonderful. Unfortunately very buggy. (appr. 3 yrs
> ago)

My current desktop is Cinnamon, it works pretty well.

> . Gnome is ugly. Very ugly. Ever seen a "Adwaita"-themed window header?
> (still valid)

"Ugly" is a matter of taste (but I happen to agree).

I am sure you could come up with much better objections to Gnome, if you
really tried. Like the way they go beyond themes and actually tear away
functionality (from, like, everything).
Even the utility apps that are developed by Gnome had to go from my
laptop, because they looked like they belonged on a smartphone, and had
as much functionality.

I miss Gnome 2, I really do. But I moved on to Cinnamon back when MATE
was in its early days.

--
Eli Schwartz