[arch-general] [OT] Favorite/best desktop in archlinux

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Nov 8 13:03:49 UTC 2016

Eli Schwartz via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> writes:

> On 11/07/2016 07:39 PM, Christian Klaue wrote:
>> Back to the 3 major players:
>> . KDE looks close to Windows and fancy. QT is closed sw. In my personal
>> opinion KDE offers too many configurations  (early plasma) and is been
>> laggy (KDE 4).
>
> Um, what???
>
> Qt is dual-licensed under the GPL3 (with a commercial license available
> for purchase *for use in non-FLOSS projects* ), I don't know what
> bizarre rumors you have heard...

Um, the Qt licensing is rather more complicated than that nowadays:
https://www.qt.io/licensing-comparison/

I think it went something like (vastly simplified and not weighed down
by any sort of actual knowledge)

 1. Trolltech used GPL on everything and sold a commercial license to
    actually make money.
 2. Nokia bought Trolltech and didn't feel a need to make money on Qt,
    so they relicensed the lib under LGPL.
 3. The Qt Company is back to needing to make money on Qt, so some newer
    parts are GPL.

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

A system is composed of components: a component is something you
understand.
     — Professor Howard Aiken