[arch-general] ISO broken? Unable to boot from ISO burned to DVD.

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Nov 15 06:45:14 UTC 2016

On 11/13/2016 12:30 PM, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've freshly downloaded the ISO from the Arch Linux homepage and burned with:
>
> # cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom -dao PATH_TO_ISO
>
> Booting from this hangs with waiting for some /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH...
> device. After waiting for this I get to some kind of "recovery console"
> missing most tools.
>
> /dev/disk/by-label doesn't exist at all in this minimalistic shell.
>
> Is it possible that booting from a device "by-label" just doesn't work for a
> DVD drive at all?
>
> Any way to fix this?

Ran into this same problem for the first time in September, just follow the
directions and write the .iso to a USB stick and it should boot fine. There is
an entire forum thread devoted to this issue. You can read all about the
latest theories as to why it happens, there. But regardless, the easiest
solution is simply to install from a USB.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.