[arch-general] Does LTS package really not fit to Rolling Release model and Arch Philosophy?

Bennett Piater bennett at piater.name
Fri Nov 18 19:19:10 UTC 2016

> Ralf, exactly, and that is to what I'm attracted.

That they maintain it doesn't necessarily mean that they will also make
sure that it works with new library versions. It sounded more like bug-
and security fixes to me.

Arch is not like Debian or even Ubuntu. Most libraries get updated as
soon as upstream releases new versions, which is quite often.
I doubt the KDE developers will guarantee that the LTS version will work
with every library upgrade. It's just too much work.

The kernel is not only critical, but also much easier to manage -
compared to something like Plasma, which depends on anything and
everything, the kernel is for most intents and purposes a
self-contained, interchangeable box.

Userspace software is an entirely different category, and a huge DE like
Plasma makes things even harder. Someone might try to maintain it on the
AUR, but that could easily mean upwards of 50 packages that constantly
need to be tested against new versions of their dependencies.

> In my experience, linux GUI environment(DE)
> tends to be easily broken with frequent upgrades

Early Plasma versions where horrible, but its much better now.
If it's still not stable enough for you, you might want to consider
switching to something lighter, like XFCE or even a simple window
manager (WM).

I have a full Plasma installation to play around with, but my day-to-day
use is entirely in i3wm.
Properly set up, that beats even as good a DE as Plasma for me.

If tiling is not your thing, there are other options out there, such as
Openbox. (And maaaany more: [0])

Cheers,
Bennett

[0]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager

--
GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808