[arch-general] snapcraft.io IMO gets across the message that snaps are appropriate for Arch Linux

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 16:10:49 UTC 2016

On 11/24/2016 10:33 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 10:13:30 -0500, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> You are using Ubuntu resources to spread an anti-snapcraft message
>> along the lines of Arch-style philosophy.
>
> That is off-top for this list and apart from this untrue.
>
> I'm a part of the Ubuntu community.

I'm very happy for you, but what is your point? Your membership in their
community does not get to define the overall mission statement of their
community. If you think otherwise, that is sheer arrogance.

> For your very information, Ubuntu for servers and desktop computers is
> based upon apt, not snaps.

And that is apparently changing, according to Ubuntu devs. The argument
that "this is how it works right now", is not a convincing argument.

> Some issues can't be solved by using snaps, this is the wrong approach
> for Ubuntu, too.

The only thing that matters for them is, what unsolvable issues are
there, *that Ubuntu cares about* ?
Your main issue seems to be that Linux users should care more than Mac
users about their OS internals.

Given that the target Ubuntu userbase is people who would otherwise be
using Macbooks, I really don't see where you are coming from at all.
Much like I don't see where they are coming from, thinking that other
distros want, like Ubuntu, to appeal to Mac users via snapcraft.

> However, this is OT for this list. Please don't claim that
> I misused their list, this is untrue. I corrected wrong statements in
> this and several other threads. Wrong statements that usually are
> completely unrelated to Arch Linux.

It is very on topic for this list. Or at least, this thread. I am
exploring the reasons why you spammed this list by starting this thread.

Also, I am correcting the wrong statements you made about the supposed
"wrong statements" you were correcting. Only about half of them were wrong.

You misused their list. You are currently misusing this list.

Even where I agree with you, I disagree with the way you go about saying
it. So please, just stop.

--
Eli Schwartz