[arch-general] snapcraft.io IMO gets across the message that snaps are appropriate for Arch Linux

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 21:46:52 UTC 2016

On 11/24/2016 03:53 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 11:10:49 -0500, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>>> For your very information, Ubuntu for servers and desktop computers
>>> is based upon apt, not snaps.
>>
>> And that is apparently changing, according to Ubuntu devs.
>
> If you don't know Ubuntu, why do you want to talk about it on an Arch
> mailing list? Are you trolling?
>
> Apt is under development at the moment. It will replace apt-get, resp.
> it already replaced it as the recommended Ubuntu package management
> tool, for new releases, but not all still supported releases yet. Apt
> isn't an old tool, it's new. You don't know what you are talking about.

I cannot help but feel you are drastically misunderstanding what I said.
I *thought* I said that according to Ubuntu devs, Snaps are apparently
the way of the future and will in the not-so-distant future be the
method for installing everything but the base system, or at least most
everything else.

What does that have to do with when or how apt (or any of the other
bazillion *.deb frontends) is developed, or how long (or short) it
remains the method for people installing Firefox, Libreoffice, and other
significant end-user software (leaving aside the question of
linux/systemd/bash/coreutils/blahblahblah)?

>> You are currently misusing this list.
>
> I just pointed out, that some people got a wrong impression about Arch
> Linux as part of a consortium, that should be in favour of snappy.

FWIW, I don't really care what impression non-Arch users get, and I
suspect I may not be alone in that...

> I wasn't aware that Arch developers are already aware about it and if
> they don't care about it, I won't care about it anymore, too.
>
> Everything is fine.

... but thanks.

--
Eli Schwartz