[arch-general] Arch pkg user and group IDs?

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Mon Nov 28 02:16:56 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 06:31:01PM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 08:55:48 -0500, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> > By convention, Arch expects user UIDs to be greater than 1000.
>
> I understand that.

There is no such think as "arch expects". It is a default setting in
/etc/login.defs that is being used by systemd because it is likely that a devs
don't change login.defs before building systemd...

> > There is a list of explicitly reserved system UIDs by repo packages
> > here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database
>
> Which, apart from qmail which is easily avoided, lists only IDs below
> 500.
> But it looks like /etc/login.defs additionally reserves a range of
> system IDs.

I strongly suspect that the above wikipage is deprecated. Most likely all arch
packages will move to sysuser.d sooner or later.

BTW, have you read the manpage of sysuser.d? You can override those "default"
IDs by specifying your own, just need to change a few files (on our NIS master
there are only snippets supplied with systemd)...

But out of curiosity, why is it difficult to change user IDs on all files? I
assume that you control the storage? Isn't it just a chown -R away? For
example, for our NIS passwd/shadow map we use 6-digit IDs...

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4