[arch-general] Arch pkg user and group IDs?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 02:50:22 UTC 2016

On 11/27/2016 09:16 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> There is no such think as "arch expects". It is a default setting in
> /etc/login.defs that is being used by systemd because it is likely that a devs
> don't change login.defs before building systemd...

Well, packages can have files that need to have a specific system user
ownership. That is why the UID/GID database exists, right? Because the
UID baked into the *.pkg.tar.xz has to match /etc/passwd, and
systemd-sysusers can't inherently do anything that repetitive useradd +
getent scripting wasn't always capable of.

> I strongly suspect that the above wikipage is deprecated. Most likely all arch
> packages will move to sysuser.d sooner or later.

I don't see why, again, systemd-sysusers was designed as a declarative
alternative to `useradd -r` and the Wikipage was never deprecated by
useradd...

> BTW, have you read the manpage of sysuser.d? You can override those "default"
> IDs by specifying your own, just need to change a few files (on our NIS master
> there are only snippets supplied with systemd)...

Do you mean, by manually specifying a hardcoded UID for each user???

--
Eli Schwartz