[arch-general] Installation: How to get HDD > LUKS > GPT working in a clean way

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Mon Nov 28 02:25:57 UTC 2016

On 11/27/2016 08:18 PM, Merlin Büge wrote:
>> Where is /boot physically located? Can grub2 boot from LV these days?
> /boot is physically located on my only storage drive in the laptop.
> It's not a seperate partition, just on the Btrfs filesystem.
>

>> Can grub2 boot from LV these days?
> I don't know (nor do I need).

Just to answer: Yes, grub2 can boot from LVM and LUKS. UEFI typically
requires an open boot partition, but that could just be used to launch
grub2 which could in turn read things from an encrypted logical volume.

My current computer is a legacy BIOS system (Ugh, I prefer UEFI.) so I
can put the whole thing in LVM/LUKS no issues, since BIOS doesn't use a
system partition. Arch's wiki should provide adequate instructions, I
believe.