[arch-general] Implement sql/sqlite database for pacman local database

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 00:35:15 UTC 2016

On 10/22/2016 02:28 AM, Alive 4ever wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:06:04PM -0500, Doug Newgard wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 03:53:20 +0000
>> Alive 4ever <alive4ever at live.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 08:03:53PM +0200, Tinu Weber wrote:
>>> Currently, pacman package includes a ``pacman-optimize`` script to do
>>> manual periodic local database optimization.
>>
>> Not for long.
>> https://git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=d590a45795b30a14cdb697754749c85907053570
>
> I just refer to locally installed pacman files, since the commit hasn't
> landed to repository package yet.

Right... but if you look at the stated reason for its removal, you tend
to get the impression that the lead pacman developer is actually
explicitly calling you (rhet.) a blithering idiot if you (rhet.) think
that pacman-optimize is actually optimizing anything.

Particularly, since the ext filesystem (like all linux filesystems) was
sort of designed around a principle meant to escape filesystem
fragmentation altogether.

If you really think your filesystem fragmentation is a problem, then the
problem is not limited to pacman. You should consider doing a full disk
defragmentation.

Also consider the fact that your pacman database is one of the least
likely pieces of data to target for the sake of noticeably improving
your computer's overall performance.

--
Eli Schwartz