[arch-general] Implement sql/sqlite database for pacman local database

Alive 4ever alive4ever at live.com
Sun Oct 23 05:41:25 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 08:35:15PM -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Right... but if you look at the stated reason for its removal, you tend
> to get the impression that the lead pacman developer is actually
> explicitly calling you (rhet.) a blithering idiot if you (rhet.) think
> that pacman-optimize is actually optimizing anything.

I'd appreciate if developers refrain from such abusive behavior to keep
healthy community relationship.

> Particularly, since the ext filesystem (like all linux filesystems) was
> sort of designed around a principle meant to escape filesystem
> fragmentation altogether.

> If you really think your filesystem fragmentation is a problem, then the
> problem is not limited to pacman. You should consider doing a full disk
> defragmentation.

Despite the filesystem is as well designed as it could be, if the
underlying hardware can't fully take the advantage of the filesystem,
hard drive fragmentation still occurs.

As for my case, it may have been caused by low free disk space.

> Also consider the fact that your pacman database is one of the least
> likely pieces of data to target for the sake of noticeably improving
> your computer's overall performance.

Yeah, I am aware of it. Hardware components tend to degrade over time,
especially mechanical hard drive.