[arch-general] bitcoin-qt out-of-date

Chi Hsuan Yen yan12125 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:32:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 12:32 AM, Antonio Rojas <arojas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Chi Hsuan Yen via arch-general wrote:
>
> > To be more specific, I'm talking about youtube-dl. I'm currently one of
> > youtube-dl maintainers, and I hope Arch users can always get the latest
> > version with pacman. Unfortunately, the package in [community] gets
> > updates slow in comparison with how youtube-dl releases new versions. AUR
> > works, while it's not an ideal solution, as VCS packages are not updated
> > automatically. (I guess there are some helpers for that, but still not
> > ideal for this case)
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Yen Chi Hsuan
>
> youtube-dl gets a new release every two days, I hope you're not expecting
> packagers to keep up with that. Current package is one month old, that
> doesn't look too bad to me, especially considering that its maintainer is
> currently inactive.

Yep that's my expectation. There were several times, that a new version
with important fixes (fix for YouTube downloading, etc.) was released, and
lots of people came to our issue tracker for "broken" YouTube downloading
because the Arch version was not updated yet. As a result, I hope Arch can
keep it updated. Of course users can also use our own updater or AUR. I
just feel the official package integrates with the system better. For
example it updates with `pacman -Syu`.

*NOTE* I'm not blaming anyone. I just hope that I can contribute something
to Arch, so I'm asking possible approaches here. I know it's a burden to
update a package so often, so I'm not requesting anything, just discussing.

Best,

Yen Chi Hsuan