[arch-general] bitcoin-qt out-of-date

Chi Hsuan Yen yan12125 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:48:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Kwang Moo Yi via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 01/09/16 20:32, Chi Hsuan Yen via arch-general wrote:
>
>> Yep that's my expectation. There were several times, that a new version
>> with important fixes (fix for YouTube downloading, etc.) was released, and
>> lots of people came to our issue tracker for "broken" YouTube downloading
>> because the Arch version was not updated yet.
>>

> In this case, wouldn't it suite better to be in the AUR always?

>From "Rules of submission" section on Arch Wiki: [1]

Check the official package database <https://www.archlinux.org/packages/>
for the package. If *any version* of it exists, *do not* submit the
package. If the official package is out-of-date, flag it as such.

I'm not sure whether my case is an exception to this rule or not.

> It would be practically impossible that a package to be reviewed and
> signed so often. Also, my personal expectation on the official packages is
> to be more stable than that.

Unlike other programs, most new youtube-dl bugs come from changed websites,
not changes in youtube-dl itself. For example if YouTube changes how videos
are delivered, we have to update relevant codes and ask users to update as
soon as possible.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository