[arch-general] Fwd: [arch-dev-public] i686 and SSE2

Sebastiaan Lokhorst sebastiaanlokhorst at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 18:03:52 UTC 2016

arch-dev-public at archlinux.org>:

> I'm not really sure why we want to even invest time in making all i686
> packages use more features. Most of our users run x86_64 already so maybe
> we
> should think about increasing feature support there since that will have a
> bigger impact.

This is an excellent point. Be it i686, i686+SSE2, i786, or whatever, they
are all legacy platforms. You cannot seriously say "optimised for modern
processors" and "i686" in the same sentence. I don't see how there is much
gain from optimising them, especially since most users are using x86_64
anyway.

In my opinion, we should keep i686 as it is, as a legacy platform, until it
is used so little that we drop it completely. Anyone who is concerned about
performance has moved to x86_64 a long time ago.

Sebastiaan