[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Sep 20 06:58:33 UTC 2016

On 09/20/2016 12:00 AM, D C via arch-general wrote:
> TBH, the main install guide looks almost identical to the beginner guide
> that I used about two years ago, check it out.

I guess I've been using a different beginner's guide for the past 8 years. The
installation guide that is currently on the wiki is about 1/10 the size and
depth of the original beginners guide. I have fairly good notes on the steps,
and my subset of notes alone is 3-4 times the length of the current "install" guide.

The beginner's guide always provided an expanded section on each topic in the
install where different cards and potential pitfalls were discussed. There was
the varying network configuration options, netctl, etc., RAID setup was
addressed, etc.. Now - nothing.

We should consider the beginner's guide again -- it was invaluable to new and
beginner users to help them get a feel for arch. Even for those versed in Linux,
and with Arch, for the guys like me that do an install on a biennial basis, that
guide was a savior.

Did no one want to maintain it? Why was the full beginner's guide deleted?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.