[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

Jason Ryan jasonwryan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 07:13:34 UTC 2016

On 20/09/16 at 01:58am, David C. Rankin wrote:
>On 09/20/2016 12:00 AM, D C via arch-general wrote:
>> TBH, the main install guide looks almost identical to the beginner guide
>> that I used about two years ago, check it out.

>We should consider the beginner's guide again -- it was invaluable to new and
>beginner users to help them get a feel for arch. Even for those versed in Linux,
>and with Arch, for the guys like me that do an install on a biennial basis, that
>guide was a savior.

It was a major pain to maintain, among other things. It is far better to have a
single, authoritative source for an Arch install than two, often divergent,
guides. It requires less effort to maintain, reduces confusion about how to do a
supported install, and encourages people to understand what they are doing,
rather than hastily copy and pasting there way through an install so they can
rush to tell people they are running Arch…

>Did no one want to maintain it? Why was the full beginner's guide deleted?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Talk:Beginners%27_guide&oldid=443725#Unification

/J

--

http://jasonwryan.com/
GPG: 7817 E3FF 578E EEE1 9F64 D40C 445E 52EA B1BD 4E40