[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

Francis Gerund ranrund at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:12:46 UTC 2016

Where have the the most recent versions of the "real" Beginner's Guide been
saved?  And how can they be retrieved (maybe using git, for example)?

IMHO, for new users, the "Installation Guide" is not, never has been, and
may never be a substitute for the Beginner's Guide.  The Installation Guide
does not have enough detail, and many (most?) new users will not put up
with being sent on a sadistic snip hunt through the thick jungles of the
Arch Wiki, jus to do a basic console-only install.  And the elinks text
browser on the install iso "just doesn't cut it".

(Don't get me wrong - the Arch Wiki is a tremendous resource, maybe the
best resource in the GNU/Linux ecosystem.  But, like Hollywood, it is no
place for children.)

I believe this change will only serve to alienate potential new users, who
are the "life blood" of Arch, or any other organization or movement.
Without new growth, any organism risks withering on the vine.  Just ask
OpenBSD.