[arch-general] Samba Upgrade 4.4.5 -> 4.5 Broke mount.cifs share mounting

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Sep 25 08:41:14 UTC 2016

All,

I've run samba in standalone mode since the 2.0.7 days and have been though a
few breakages due to version updates along the way. It seems we have hit one
again in the 4.4 to 4.5 update. Specifically, the update was:

samba-4.4.5 => samba-4.5.0

There were no changes made to smb.conf, but the following attempted mount failed
using:

mount.cifs //phoinix/samba /mnt/phx -o
username=david,uid=1000,credentials=/home/adm/mountcfile,noperm

I've been mounting the box like this for the past several years.

There are no entries in the logs telling me why the mount fails, it just fails.
Has anyone else experienced problems with the samba-4.4.5 => samba-4.5.0 update,
and if so, any solutions? I've currently downgraded to samba-4.4.5 and all works
as it should. I've checked the old forum thread -
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=190592 that isn't related to the
current issue. I've check the arch and samba wikis, no help. I've also posted to
the samba list, still awaiting a reply. So if anyone has any additional
information, I would greately appreciate any you can provide.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.