[arch-general] Samba Upgrade 4.4.5 -> 4.5 Broke mount.cifs share mounting

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 09:43:03 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 03:41:14AM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> All,
>
> I've run samba in standalone mode since the 2.0.7 days and have been though a
> few breakages due to version updates along the way. It seems we have hit one
> again in the 4.4 to 4.5 update. Specifically, the update was:
>
> samba-4.4.5 => samba-4.5.0
>
> There were no changes made to smb.conf, but the following attempted mount failed
> using:
>
> mount.cifs //phoinix/samba /mnt/phx -o
> username=david,uid=1000,credentials=/home/adm/mountcfile,noperm
>
> I've been mounting the box like this for the past several years.
>
> There are no entries in the logs telling me why the mount fails, it just fails.
> Has anyone else experienced problems with the samba-4.4.5 => samba-4.5.0 update,
> and if so, any solutions? I've currently downgraded to samba-4.4.5 and all works
> as it should. I've checked the old forum thread -
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=190592 that isn't related to the
> current issue. I've check the arch and samba wikis, no help. I've also posted to
> the samba list, still awaiting a reply. So if anyone has any additional
> information, I would greately appreciate any you can provide.
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Samba 4.5.0 disables old NTLMv1 authentication. If you are running
mount.cifs on arch that should be no problem.

Maybe you could add -o sec=ntlmssp and see if that fixes your problem
before enabling the old authentication methods again.

See: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.5.0.html

--
Ike