[arch-general] Microsoft Signature PC Requirements Now Blocks Linux Installation

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Sep 29 08:38:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 10:06:29 +0200, Merlin Büge wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:54:17 +0200 Christian Kruse wrote:
>> Germany has such a company as well:
>>
>> <http://www.tuxedocomputers.com/>
>
>But note that all that is not open source hardware (as mentioned
>above). Also I'm not getting the point in buying such hardware --
>there is some linux distribution preinstalled, but that's it I guess.
>Or am I missing something?

You are right, but you also missed something. I've taken a look at an
averaged tower PC. At first appearance the price seems to be ok, but
after a further look I noticed that it's just the basic price, if you
want at least one hard disk drive, you already need to pay more. How do
they install an Ubuntu flavor, if you buy a computer without hard disk
drive? In the end it's plain daylight robbery. DIY is significant less
expensive, even if you should buy some hardware that shouldn't work
with Linux, even if you then wouldn't get your money back and need to
buy some hardware twice.

Regards,
Ralf