[arch-general] Microsoft Signature PC Requirements Now Blocks Linux Installation

Christian Kruse cjk at defunct.ch
Thu Sep 29 08:45:12 UTC 2016

Hi,

Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> writes:

> You are right, but you also missed something. I've taken a look at an
> averaged tower PC. At first appearance the price seems to be ok, but
> after a further look I noticed that it's just the basic price, if you
> want at least one hard disk drive, you already need to pay more. How do
> they install an Ubuntu flavor, if you buy a computer without hard disk
> drive? In the end it's plain daylight robbery.

I don't think that this is true; generally their desktop systems come
with a 500GB Segate HDD. And as I just checked I couldn't find a system
without a disk; could you provide a link?

> DIY is significant less expensive, even if you should buy some
> hardware that shouldn't work with Linux, even if you then wouldn't get
> your money back and need to buy some hardware twice.

DIY was always less expensive and will always be. But it will cost you
your time. I'm not willing to pay that price.

Best regards,
--
Christian Kruse
https://wwwtech.de/about