[arch-general] Microsoft Signature PC Requirements Now Blocks Linux Installation

Lukas Rose lists at lrose.de
Thu Sep 29 09:35:00 UTC 2016

> On 29 Sep 2016, at 10:40, Christian Kruse <cjk at defunct.ch> wrote:
>
> I can be sure that everything works with Linux. I don't have the time or
> the energy to check the hardware vendors manually

I've been installing various Linux distributions on all kinds of notebooks and desktop-PCs for several years now, and I almost never had problems with hardware compatibility. Just follow the basic rules like avoid dedicated graphics if you don't need them, prefer Intel chips, and you're done! But even if you don't watch out for those, like many of the people did who brought me their computers, it still works - almost always. And the cases it didn't work out of the box were non-rolling-release Distros where most times a manual kernel upgrade to some more recent version fixed it. So I don't get why people are always calling for "Linux compatibility", most common hardware does work.