[arch-general] Microsoft Signature PC Requirements Now Blocks Linux Installation

Martin Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 09:56:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Lukas Rose <lists at lrose.de> wrote:

> I've been installing various Linux distributions on all kinds of notebooks and desktop-PCs for several years now, and I almost never had problems with hardware compatibility. Just follow the basic rules like avoid dedicated graphics if you don't need them, prefer Intel chips, and you're done! But even if you don't watch out for those, like many of the people did who brought me their computers, it still works - almost always. And the cases it didn't work out of the box were non-rolling-release Distros where most times a manual kernel upgrade to some more recent version fixed it. So I don't get why people are always calling for "Linux compatibility", most common hardware does work.

Honestly, though, "worked for you to this day" just doesn't cut it in this case.
Just because you were lucky or never had to deal with really new
hardware doesn't mean hardware compatibility is not an issue.
And the rarer the case of incompatibility appears, the more
disappointing it actually is when it hits you, and I guess we all
agree that a bit of accumulated data about how to avoid them as much
as possible is a good start.

cheers!
mar77i