[arch-general] problems on installing grub on a new system

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Apr 2 14:48:51 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 15:20:09 +0200, David Runge wrote:
>> Steve Downes schrieb am So., 2. Apr. 2017, 14:55:
>> > Failed to get canonical path of `airootfs'
>I get the feeling you might have been installing to your installation
>media, if it was a usb stick.
>
>Make sure you're installing to the correct device, by having a look at:
>
>`ls -lah /dev/disk/by-id`

Hi,

there are several possible reasons to get this error. One reason could
be installing grub, if you try it from a Linux running in a
systemd-nspawn container. IOW also mention from where you try to
install grub.

Btw. a while back I migrated from grub to syslinux for my Linux
multi-boot machine, this means no Windows, no FreeBSD, no UEFI or
anything else, just several Linux installs. FWIW I'm still using MBR. I
like syslinux much better than grub, but it might not fit to the taste
of everybody.

Regards,
Ralf